Thursday 15 January 2015

Nutmeg, pecan, cranberry and chocolate flapjacks, healthy January treats!


Brr!! It is SO cold! Matters are worse when you have single glazing and a large window that won't shut in your tiny one bedroom flat! It would be worth the pain of coldness if it snowed but not a flake to be seen down here. Bah humbug! 

Last weekend I went back to Bea's of Bloomsbury (in St Pauls) and had the afternoon tea that is my first blog post. It was so good. Delicious crusty sandwich bites, passionfruit cupcakes, three types of brownie, meringue, perfect scones with thick clotted cream and jam and a sweet peanut cupcake. I'd never heard of a peanut cupcake and was pleasantly surprised - I think it may be my recipe for next week! This wasn't the traditional way to indulge in a post-Christmas January as I felt quite ill afterwards (in the too much delicious sugaryness kind of way) but I don't regret one bite. 

So, I still have a good amount of oats left therefore I have made another oat recipe. Much healthier than other recipes I have made and very adaptable to suit your mood. They took hardly any time to prepare and make (precooking) and taste great. 

Ingredients: -
1tsp nutmeg
125g honey
125g butter (melt)
125g dark brown suagr
250g oats
50g chopped pecans
50g cranberries


1. Heat the oven to 160C. Line a baking tin with baking paper (I used a brownie tin). Melt the butter inn a saucepan on a low heat. Add the sugar and honey and stir until it has dissolved.
2. Stir in the oats until the mixture is even. Then add in the nuts, nutmeg and cranberries. (You can use any nuts or dried fruit.)
3. Pour into the baking tin and flatten down with the back of a spoon. bake for 35 minutes until golden. 
4. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack. 
5. When the flapjacks are cool, put a glass bowl over some boiling water and break the chocolate into the bowl. Stir as it begins to melt. Then remove from the heat and keep stirring. Put some of the chocolate onto a spoon and drizzle over the flapjack - you don't need to be neat with this. 


I was quite pleased with this recipe. They are quite strong in nutmeg but I like that. When I make them again, I will add more nuts and dried fruit but they were delicious form the above recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment