Saturday 30 August 2014

Pancakes - enough said




Pancakes! I seems a shame that many English folk don't touch a pancake unless it is of course pancake day. Then it is a sin not to. Well, I had a craving and thought I would see what happened...
There are different pancake recipes about but generally, the thin traditional ones have plain flour while the fluffier American style have self raising flour. I thought I would give the American ones a go with the, er, not traditional shape.

For the pancake mix I used:
1 egg
25g unsalted butter
1 cup of self raising flour
1 cup of milk (use the same cup as the flour)
Pinch of sea salt

For the first topping I used: cream cheese, crushed cashews, capers, thyme, black pepper.
Verdict: A good range of textures and layers of flavour; salt from the capers, fragrant thyme... some sundried tomatoes on top would add another depth.
Second course: A pizza style pancake with tomato puree, grated cheddar, spring onions, lemon zest and coriander.
Verdict: A winner, great variety of flavours.
Pudding: Natural yogurt, honey, raspberries and desiccated coconut. Ok, I cheated with the healthiness and put a sprinkle of sugar on. Buy hey, it wasn't in the batter.
Verdict: I should have pancakes more often...
#pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment