Tuesday 28 October 2014

Where have they all scone?


Half term! Ok its not quite a week off as i am a teacher and not a child but it does give me time to catch up on paperwork and... bake. I have been meaning to try making scones for a while now. I used to have a lady that brought the most delicious homemade scones into work with thick fresh cream and sweet strawberry jam and I have been wanting to try them ever since. I don't tend to eat a lot of scones, other than when in Devon / Cornwall - it just has to be done. However, they are a good sweet indulgence for a lunch. Following my theme, the recipe I found was in the British bake Off book and so simple to make.

Ingredients:
250g self raising flour
good pinch of salt
50g catser sugar
50g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1 egg
100ml milk (the recipe said buttermilk but that just isn't an item I have in my fridge everyday)
jam to serve


Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. rub in the butter with your fimers until you make crumbs.
2. beat the egg into the milk until combined. Stir into the crumbs using a palette knife. The dough should be rough looking and not too wet. Mix it in gently and not too much.
3. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and and knead for a few seconds to make it whole. Press it out with your fingers to 3cm thick. I did mine thinner as I wanted delicate scones. Cut out rounds with a cutter.
4. Put the rounds onto a baking sheet on a tray. Dust lightly with flour then bake for 12minutes.
5. Put some on a wire rack to cool.  Cut them in half and spread jam inside. Eat some warm from the oven - by far the best!

A lovely treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment