Friday, 26 September 2014
Cold curing veg pot
I'm very excited to have created a dish and it taste good! I had bought some ingredients to try a recipe a few day ago but, due to a cold / sore throat this week, I just didn't fancy it. I pondered what to do with the ingredients instead and in a 'Ready Steady Cook' moment, here it is...
1 red onion
1 tsp cumin seeds
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt / Pepper
1/2 bunch of fresh parsley ( I actually think that basil would be better but I had parsley so we'll go with it.)
1 garlic clove
1 can of plum tomatoes
1. Slice the aubergine in half lengthways then in half moons, 1/2 cm thick. Repeat with the courgette but slightly thinner. Place them on a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt / pepper.
2. Put them in the oven at 200C for 15minutes.
3. Put a pan on a medium heat. Add olive oil, chopped garlic, cumin seeds and cayenne pepper. Heat for 1-2 minutes.
4. Thinly slice the onion and add to the pan. Saute for 5 minutes until the onion is soft and absorbs the flavours.
5. Add the aubergine, courgette and half the parsley (chopped) into the pan and then the tomatoes. Put the lid on and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Transfer into an oven dish ands slice the mozzarella thickly on top.
7. Put in the oven for 10 minutes until the mozzarella has melted. Serve with the rest of the parsley on sprinkled on top.
I also roasted some new potatoes to serve with this. Cut them in half lengthways and put them on a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook at 200C for 50 minutes until golden.
Not very easy to serve but it was healthy and delicious. It is very satisfying to create a dish, what else have I got in the cupboard...