Monday 1 September 2014

When in Rome...


It has been two weeks since our trip to Rome and as the rain has drawn in the end of British summer, I thought I would reminisce... I know Italy is known for coffee and coffee is in the blog title, but I want to talk about the pizza. Being a foodie, naturally I googled places to eat before going; food is surely a highlight of anyone's trip(?) I still salivate at the best pizza I've ever had... perfectly crisp from the thin oven baked base, sweet juicy tomatoes, salty capers and just the right amount of tuna, onion and olives... Never has a pizza tasted so good. I was recommended the margarita, but I like a bit of variety in each mouthful. I also neglected to notice the lack of cheese on my pizza written in the menu until it arrived. Dove e la cheesa?! It was 9pm on the day of travel, forgive me, I guess it was just a healthy pizza but that made it all the more delizioso. The pizzeria was called 'Li Rioni', the pure essence of an Italian name. No other pizza could compare to this in the quaint, cobbled and vespa led streets. We had to go back. We had planned our order: crispy fried and stuffed courgette flowers, fried cod fillets (the locals were doing it, when in Rome...), little tomato risotto balls and the piece de resistance, an oozing cheesy margarita... turns out it's closed on Tuesdays. Pasta it was... For the one amazing night of pizza we shared, grazie Roma...
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2011/jul/13/top-10-pizza-places-rome
#rome #pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment